Dignity. Purpose. Transformation.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Wowed by God

Four days ago, our Board of Directors sat on a conference call crunching numbers.  We had our tickets to Sierra Leone, but that was it.  The bank account was virtually empty.  It was looking a bit dismal.  While our hearts told us we had not heard wrong when the Lord said "Go," our eyes were saying something altogether different.  We tallied up the figures - $2,500 for furniture, screens, a water tank and other set up costs, $2,500 for program expenses (salaries, etc) for one month, $2,500 for our living expenses for one month, including setting up the internet and buying all the initial food and supplies, and $2,500 for registering Women of Hope International as an NGO with the government of Sierra Leone.  $10,000 for March expenses.  Seeing as how it is so difficult to get money to Sierra Leone, we were hoping to carry over 2 months worth of case so the board wouldn't have to pay exorbitant wire fees to get us April's money.  But, that was an additional $4,500. 

So, nine days out from departure, we needed at least $10,000, and we had a few hundred.  That isn't even counting the fact that we don't have a vehicle when we get there, which makes it pretty hard to do much of anything at all! 

Enter the miraculous...

A friend from church asked me (Kim) if I'd be at AWANA on Wed night.  I said I was dropping off the kids, but couldn't stay because I had work to get done.  She said, "Well, be sure you find me.  I need to talk to you and it's really important."  So, I found her.  Now mind you, this family is not especially well-off.  In fact, they are in financial need right now due to a number of circumstances.  So, she tells me that the Lord spoke to her husband very specifically about helping Women of Hope and told him to sell some of the shares that he gets from his company as a perk - and told him the number to sell.  So, he did.  The check had come through that day and she then handed me a cashier's check for - TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!  I was floored.  Stunned.  Awed.  And I cried. 

The exact amount we needed for March's expenses...?!  I called Kelsey.  She and I had both been having pretty miserable days.  The reality of what this ministry is costing in personal sacrifice was looming large that day, and we had both been assailed by doubts and fears, leading to a spirit of complaining and wondering if God really was going to come through like we originally thought.  When I told her the story she... well, I'll put it mildly.  She cried too.  And so it went on through the Board. 

What an amazing God we serve!  And how humbling to be allowed to participate with Him in this great plan of His for the redemption and restoration of broken women. 

Yes Lord, we believe.   Help our unbelief!

2 comments:

  1. Our God is so GREAT!!! Praying for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, when I said your blog looked great I hadn't read all the posts yet. Crying right along with you and your board at God's amazing provision. I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting to read the next chapter in your adventure. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete